Dealing with finances can put a lot of added stress on those planning final arrangements. In order to help make sense of the options available to you, we are pleased to provide helpful links and contact information for a variety of financial and estate related assistance.


Ministry of Housing and Social Development

A person’s death is a time for mourning and honouring the life that is now gone. When a person dies, and there are no resources available to pay for funeral expenses through the individual’s estate or family unit, or the sponsor of a deceased sponsored immigrant, the Ministry of Social Development may assist with these costs. This service is available to all citizens of British Columbia.

When a death occurs, a legal representative for the deceased must be determined. Section 5 of the Cemetery, Interment and Funeral Services Act explains the guidelines for establishing legal representatives. Legal representation is most often a relative, but in cases where there are no relatives or they are unable to assume this responsibility, the ministry may make arrangements for services and payment to the funeral home.

Once the legal representative has determined that there are no resources available for funeral expenses through the deceased’s estate or family unit or the sponsor of a deceased sponsored immigrant, they may apply to the ministry for assistance.

Funeral Costs - Province of BC

For More Information

Contact the Ministry of Social Development by calling toll-free:  1-866-866-0800


Public Guardian and Trustee

The Public Guardian and Trustee (PGT) provides a range of financial and personal care management services for adults under a number of different roles including Committee of Estate, Committee of Person, Power of Attorney, Representative, Litigation Guardian and Pension Trustee. For the majority of their adult clients, the PGT is Committee of Estate under the Patients Property Act, with responsibility for the legal and financial management of their client's affairs. For their remaining clients, the PGT fills other roles either separately or in addition to being Committee of Estate. When appointed Committee of Estate, PGT staff work with the client to establish an effective management plan that includes managing property and investments, paying bills, securing assets and pursuing compensation where appropriate. As Committee of Person, the PGT is a substitute decision-maker for health and personal care needs of an individual.


Greater Vancouver Regional Office
700-808 West Hastings Street, Vancouver, BC V6C 3L3
Ph: 604.775.1007
Fax: 604.660.9498


Last Post Fund 

The Last Post Fund is a non-profit organization dedicated to ensuring that no veteran is denied a dignified funeral and burial due to insufficient funds.

The Last Post Fund delivers the Veterans Affairs Canada Funeral and Burial Program which provides funeral, burial and grave marking benefits for eligible Canadian and Allied veterans.

In addition to delivering the Funeral and Burial Program, the Last Post Fund supports several other initiatives to commemorate Canadian veterans, including its own military cemetery, the National Field of Honour, and the provision of military markers for unmarked veterans’ graves.

The Last Post Fund is supported financially by Veterans Affairs Canada and by private donations. Its National Office is in Montreal, Québec with representation in every province and the United Kingdom.

For 100 years, the Last Post Fund has ensured that no eligible Veteran is deprived of a dignified funeral, burial and headstone for a lack of financial resources. Its chief mandate is to administer the Funeral and Burial Program on behalf of Veterans Affairs Canada.



British Columbia Office

(including Yukon)
203 – 7337, 137th Street
Surrey, BC  V3W 1A4

Toll Free: 1 800 268-0248

Telephone: 604 572-3242
Fax: 604 572-3306



Canada Pension Plan Survivor Benefits

Canada Pension Plan survivor benefits are paid to a deceased contributor's estate, surviving spouse or common-law partner and dependent children. There are two types of benefits.

  • The death benefit is a one-time payment to, or on behalf of, the estate of a deceased Canada Pension Plan contributor
  • The survivor's and children's benefit pension is a monthly pension paid to the surviving spouse or common-law partner of a deceased contributor

It is important to apply for Canada Pension Plan benefits. If you do not apply, you may lose benefits you are entitled to receive.

Death Benefit

Information - How to Apply

Survivor's and Children's Benefit Pension

Information - How to Apply


From within Canada and the United States, you can call toll-free Monday to Friday. For callers in Canada, service is available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., your local time. From the United States, service is available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern time. Service is provided in English and French.

Toll-Free: 1 800 O-Canada (1-800-622-6232)

TTY: 1-800-926-9105

If you live outside Canada and the United-States, find out more about accessing 1-800- O-Canada from other locations around the world.


Canada Revenue Agency


WorkSafe BC

An information booklet is available for your reference. It gives an overview of financial and other assistance available from WorkSafeBC (Workers’ Compensation Board), and lists resources that may be helpful following a work-related death.



Funeral and death benefits are available to motorists, cyclists and pedestrians involved in a crash with a B.C. motorist.

Funeral expenses and death benefits

Accident Benefits entitles you to funeral costs and death benefit payments for you, your spouse and your children. Spouses are:

  • married partners
  • common-law partners, including same-gender partners

Please note: Common-law and same-gender partners must have lived together in a marriage-like relationship for at least two continuous years immediately preceding the right to claim.

Payments for death benefits vary if the policy holder was the main wage earner in the home, and if there are any children or dependants.

There are also payments if the deceased is a child. Payments for a child come in a lump sum, whereas payments for adults combine a lump sum and weekly payments for 104 weeks.

IMPORTANT: You only have 90 days after your crash to return your Accident Benefits form to your adjuster, or you may lose your right to claim for those benefits.

  • B.C. Lower Mainland: 604-661-2800.
  • Elsewhere in B.C., Canada and the U.S.: 1-800-663-3051.

Call centre hours: Monday to Friday, 8 a.m.–7 p.m.; Saturday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m